Top row, left to right:
1. Posing in the school playground, photo camp enthusiast Luis, age 13, looks forward to a career in technology or the visual arts.
2. Fresh flowers adorn a girl’s braids, one of the ways in which students dress each other’s hair.
3. Young photographer Miguel Arias, age 9, pauses in the neighborhood of
4. A brightly painted house typifies the local preference for a colorful palette.
Bottom row, left to right:
5. Kids play along the Guayapito, a shallow stream that runs through the
Manzanillo mangroves and empties into the Pacific Ocean.
6. Murals decorate the entrance to the combination primary and secondary school.
7. A boy plays with his pet bird.
8. Empty bleechers at la cancha (sports field) await fans for a weekend game against a neighboring pueblo. In Manzanillo baseball is as popular as soccer.